Thursday, June 21, 2012

It All Started with Music

The first time I ever saw my Wife, I noticed her hips moving to music. She is a natural dancer and her hips move to any kind of music that is playing. It was anything but a typical way to meet a chick, since we were both volunteering at a charity fundraiser in a park pavilion. We were both doing massage therapy work on the guests of the party. Pink was playing over the sound system.


 I'm a very musical guy, but not an especially good dancer, which is fortuitous because we both had something to do that kept me from having to try to approach an obviously talented dancer on the dance floor, to make a cold call.

That was in October. The next day after that event, was an "educational" spa techniques party at our massage school's owner's house. I ended up in a huge jacuzzi tub bubble bath soup with about 4 other girls, including the future Mrs. Wifey. From that second encounter, I arranged to give her a massage to fulfill a requirement of hers that was quickly reaching it's deadline. After that massage, we went out to dinner (Denny's), and back to her house to watch a movie (Dogma). For some reason, the question, "Do you like techno?" came up and she put in a CD of really great house music. My answer was "Yes," if it matters, and for the first Christmas together She gave me 3 techno mix CD's.

During those first 6 months together, I was putting hundreds of miles on my car a day, driving from Rockledge, to Vero Beach, to Cape Canaveral and to Melbourne- basically every extreme of Brevard County. I played the Hell out of those CD's in my car and loved it!

Our first well orchestrated date (no pun intended) was to go dancing at Disney's Pleasure Island.  Future Mom-in-law had given us annual passes for Christmas. We fell in love with their 8-Trax club which played 70's and 80's funk, hip-hop, pop, and disco. Michael Jackson, MC Hammer, Madonna, Beegees, Earth Wind and Fire, and Sugarhill Gang to name a few standards.We went back for the closing weekend, another in a long list of reasons I fucking hate Disney World aside from Pleasure Island, and the last song they played was Journey's Don't Stop Believing.


That spring, as an Easter present as if I needed a reason, I took the very soon to be Fiance to her first big name concert- Aerosmith. They were and still are her favorite all time band. I was afraid the tickets I bought were going to be pretty crappy since I didn't even know the Bad Boys from Boston were touring in our area until well past the time tickets went on sale. Amazingly enough, we were dead center, up against the very back wall, right under a bank of spot lights. The folks up there were awesome to hang out with and we actually had a great view of the whole stage. It was a basketball arena type venue, so the sound was going to be excellent throughout.

A couple weeks before the wedding, we shopped for and bought a house in Tallahassee. We were beyond stressed, running out of money fast, and the almost Mrs. Wifey insisted that we go to Best Buy to escape from reality for a little while. We left there with Dido's Life for Rent and DJ Icey's For the Love of the Beat. Both CD's got seriously heavy rotation for months following, for any mood. I'm pretty sure I would have gone batshit crazy without those songs, given the stress level and frustration.

Father of the Bride had burned us a couple CD's for the reception (our DJ got flooded out in a hurricane and cancelled). We both had specifically asked him to include the Beatles' Drive My Car. We had a limo taking us around the morning of the wedding, to separate errands. Neither of us were in the limo at the same time, but we both turned Dad's CD to Drive My Car as soon as he handed it to us, respectively. Dad and my Bro-in law were tickled by that, because they had seen both of us do it with no pre-planning. 


Apparently it's the best song to get pumped for a wedding!

Not that Wifey is a fan of punk at all, but NOFX's song 2 Jealous Agains is perfect for us- our record merger worked better than most other things in our collection of crap at the beginning.


No comments:

Post a Comment